__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Am I ready for the clickety-clack?

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say that travelling by train is pretty awesome. I recently looked into getting to New York City by train from Montreal. It's relatively inexpensive, so I believe that I will take a trip down at some point. However, I've never travelled by train, and I can't help but wonder if a sheltered boy like me is really ready for such a classic mode of transportation.
Are the following items still required to ride in the first-class car?
-A Mustache?
-A stiff, felt hat with a rounded crown, known as the Derby?
-A large voluptuous wife, wearing a corset, one of those dresses with the big bow on the back, and a big floppy hat?
-A large estate back home that includes several slaves?

Moreover, do I really have a reason for going to New York? Not that it is entirely necessary to have one, but I like a road trip with a purpose, however minimal it may be. I think it reminds me of the movie "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas" (unfortunately I haven't read the book) if you've seen it you know what I mean, and anything that reminds me of that movie is something I should aspire to.

7 comments:

Matthew said...

I typed up an entire message about how we talked about trains at school today.

Then I remembered that you only care about commerce and now economics.

Flakey Foont said...

Do you remember the time you showed up on my birthday?
I didn't know you at the time but you wrote the most beautiful message on that bottle of champagne.

Dingus said...

New York is worth it for New York. I'm tentatively planning on visiting the big city soon too to hang out with Irene a bit, but my effing college has its spring break a week AFTER the rest of the world. God knows why.

Either way. Trains are fun. I've only taken the GOtrain so far, but via rail should be pretty similar.

Dingus said...

Oh, welcome to the world of blogging, ps.

Civil Whisper said...

I went from Edmonton to Saskatoon via Via Rail. I brought with me a teen-stache, and drank a scotch on the rocks. I arrived 7 hours late. Had I been more prepared, I would have loved it, but it was also the overnight train. Next time will be better. Your trip will also only be a few hours as opposed to 15, and hopefully during the day.

Syxx said...

I read the book. It was fabulous.
And i think you would need all of the above, so start shopping.

Anonymous said...

Sweet blog, your travels remind me of days on the road with my band the Dale Burns Trio, perhaps you've heard. Good luck in your future endeavours.